Thursday, January 21, 2016

Sketching: Dreaming for a Head

Right, for the previous several days, I've been watching Durarara!! (those exclamation marks are part of the title, which is important), and so decided to sketch something, though still halfway through the first season. This was what I came up with, the Dullahan (Irish faery, headless rider), Celty Sturluson.



These were the scenes that inspired me.:
The beautiful scene from episode 4 I wanted to draw.
Some research for the bike. Or horse.


After that, I did some preliminary sketches and drafts to jot the idea down, like I did with the Exiled Elf-King.


Then I started drawing for real. On my sketchpad, it was the first time I used an HB to make thinner, less intrusive lines. Then it was also the first time I used a 6B to shade, as pressing hard with 4B tended to tire my arm.
The final line art, on process of shading. Actually not final as I moved Celty around some.
The original scanned image. Multiple flaws.
That final scanned image was full of mistakes, so I cleaned it up, vigorously edited it in Photoshop. Finished quite decently, I say, but I still need to learn proper shading.

This sketch is also in my DeviantArt, if you would rather check it out there.

___
Durarara!! is a light novel by Ryohgo Narita, then adapted into anime by Brain's Base Studios.

No comments:

Post a Comment