Saturday, January 2, 2016

Semarang Holiday: Day Six: A Crowded New Year

I would just like to recount my experience yesterday, during the new year's day.

And yes, this is day seven.

First, it started with a BANG. The bang of fireworks. I did try to take some pictures, to no avail. Nothing good, and my camera ran out of battery, and the charger was left at home.

Such was the new year. It didn't start fine, strictly speaking.

I slept at 1 o'clock, the latest (or earliest?) I've ever been throughout the year (or I'll ever be throughout the coming year?). I am unlike some, or perhaps most of, my friends who regularly sleep at three. Or am I exaggerating? No matter. That's not healthy. But I won't bother with health advices.

Still woke up at half past seven. Cursed internal system clock.

We went to Mary's Cave at Kerep, Ambarawa, close to where we stayed.

And whoops, once again, wrong timing.

The weather was nice and cloudy this time, but the sea of people churned. Kerep crowded like I've never seen before. Seemed like everyone chose this spot for a new year blessing. We could only pray (or at the very least, I paid respects) hastily.

And the worst of all, my camera was dead since 1 o'clock. That was the most boring part.

We closed our trip by sightseeing the largest statue of the Virgin Mary (Marry of Assumpta) in the world just outside the complex. Near the parking area.

And like Borobudur, its 42 meters does look smaller in real life.

Taken with my handphone. No use giving stats.
So, another tip for a trip: Do not go to a holy place during new year. Unless you are someone who strives to search for holiness. 

There we go. After that, I returned to Semarang, where a nice, quick internet connection was waiting. And that's precisely where I am now, writing away. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment