Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Sketching: Kylo Ren

This was something I made quite some time ago, for over more than ten hours.

It was more than three months after watching Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and I remembered that I haven't drawn anything for it. Thus, I picked Kylo Ren: the most interesting character, relatively, for there was a lack of favorite characters there. This is it, my first fray into realistic sketching, which I thought might better suit me:

Kylo Ren. Also on display in my DeviantArt.


This image was what I found for reference. I tried to recreate the detail, textures, and lighting the best I could, but first, I did the lineart.



Not too thick, a HB pencil is enough. Tried numerous times to start from the top, but decided to do the bottom part of the mask first. Actually, I revised that part many times after I started shading.

Also, as you could see from the second image, I started shading from the dark inside of the hood. Perhaps the 6B I used might have been too light, now that I look at it. I may need the 9B.


Then, I decided that the lower left section would be the least pain to do, so I went ahead and finished it up to the cheek.


Now, the top part must be focused more on the reflected light on the metal. Actually not the most difficult part, actually.


Now, actually I got carried away here that I forgot to take some pictures.

What I did first was testing out the lightsaber's glow, then continued with the upper part of the mask, saving the big empty space below for later. I still think I could make the lower part of the mask a little bit better.


After quickly shading the coat and giving it some backdrop, I scanned, and cropped it to size. I fixed the contrast and tones, also added a tinge of red color balance, and pretty much we're back to the finished image.

___
Star Wars, Star Wars: The Force Awakens (C) Lucasfilms.

No comments:

Post a Comment