Sunday, April 24, 2016

The Making of Kirito's Coat

I never expected that for our design class, we would be doing cosplays. Sure, some groups picked Kylo Ren and Rey and Cinderella, but I never expected more picked guys like Kaneki and Sora and Erza Scarlet. And finally, I never expected nobody picked Kirito. So me and Mr. Arno, my partner for this one, did.


Our school uniform consist of a labcoat that we must wear in the lab. we found that these coats would be an easy start for Kirito's Blackwrym Coat.

Some teacher's policies: if you forget your labcoat, buy another. Amusing that some could have 5 or 6 labcoats at a time. So we bought from a friend at two for the price of one.


Dismantling continues. It seemed that I needed to remove every joint of one piece and sew it to the other labcoat to make the sleeves and underside longer, matching Kirito's specs.

At this point, Arno already said that I shall wear it during the show at the end. Dang. But that'll be cool. Probably.


The Blackwrym's sleeve extensions were tough. I finally found a piece big enough that I could cut parts from. Then, the rest I could cut out parts for the belt.


No one said that we need to sew ourselves. It would take years.

So, after 45 minutes hanging around telling the tailor what to do, Kirito's coat is constructed. I know, the stitches will show, but we're running on low budget here. All of that and what will come cost below Rp 150000 (around US$ 11.50). Good enough.


And thus, the Blackwrym was dyed as it should be. Actually the proper procedure was to heat it up as it was submerged, but my house didn't have a used pot.

So I dyed it twice.


Result? Very grey. It was not the color I was hoping for, where the real Blackwrym was pitch black, but good enough for an amateur.


It turned out that the white rims could't be sewn on due to the size and funky places, so I was forced to glue on each part to make the deadline.


Meanwhile, my partner made the 'metal' bits, including Elucidator, from cardboard. I left him to that.


Then, he spray painted them. Shame the Elucidator was a bit wobbly when I held it, but meh. Details.


 Flashy.

No comments:

Post a Comment