Sunday, December 20, 2015

Politics.

I'll stop my stories today to tackle one thing that tickled the hell out of me for along this week: politics. 

Edit: Removed a paragraph which includes more sensitive material and rewrote the introduction.

I will not get into the details of some of the later news from Indonesia. However, to summarize, a man, high in the politics ladder--which I will not explicitly name here so it could not be said that i am soiling the man's name--resigned after being accused of profiteering. Which has a chance of being true, looking from the effort put in his defense. It is strange. But who knows; this is proof that people already mistrust politics as they are now.

Oh, politics. I have read two and a half books of A Song of Ice and Fire. Clearly, this is an Indonesian version of the Game of Thrones. And not only this man. I hate to say it, but since long, corruption has been a big shame in the face of my nation. Not that I hate this country; I love these lands. Like many others, I want to help. This problem doesn't just occur in Indonesia, I believe. 

One thing that needs to be answered: Why have politics become a nest of these foul players? Indeed, I want to believe that not all of the fruits in the basket are rotten; there are, hopefully, properly righteous people leading us. This does not change the fact that many people mistrust politics.

Tracing back from the moment democracy overturned tyranny, the plebeians did drag the kings down because they had enough of those kings' (and including dictators') desire to only fulfill their own twisted desires. At the very least, it is true that we are no longer oppressed. However, how come should these plebeians become kings, in their own way? Isn't that ungrateful?

I could understand the greed that is the nature of humans. And as such, I will understand that those high-standing people are desensitized to their people's plea, such as this one. Perhaps, in a vain attempt, I shall say what is written in the law of the Republic of Indonesia: the government is a democracy. From the people, by the people, and for the people. This democracy was made so that the people could have their own say. This system does have its faults, after all. If the representatives do not hear their people, then the system is broken.

People standing higher up are there because they were selected by the people, to rule in their name. This is a system of trust, after all. This game of thrones is about trust. A politician should work to the will of the people in order to gain their trust, which puts them in that high position where they could easily bend the law and steal some huge amount of the country's cash. However, this status only exists as long as the people support and trust them, which to put in another way, is to not steal their money.

Paradoxical? Not necessarily. A politician is nothing without his people's trust. The politician could stop the paradox if only he listens and stop messing around.

To finish it up, if the government would ever want to tear this post down, I'll let them. I understand why. Such an action will confirm their paranoia of having their heaven eaten away by the people that should have a place in them. Shame is one way to learn, if someone has some. I hope these politicians--not only those from Indonesia--do.

No comments:

Post a Comment